In the event you’ve ever had a product break with out good restore choices, the FTC desires to listen to from you!
On November 14, 2023, iFixit and the Public Curiosity Analysis Group (PIRG) asked the US federal government to control Proper to Restore. Particularly, we petitioned the Federal Commerce Fee (FTC) to provoke a rulemaking for Proper to Restore legal guidelines.
Right this moment, the FTC announced the opening of a remark submission interval. That is the important thing subsequent step, and the recognition determines whether or not the FTC will reply to our petition with a draft rule.
We’d like your assist. In the event you’ve ever wished to inform somebody your thoughts, or actually let unfastened about that factor that you just wished to repair and couldn’t, that is your second. Tell the FTC your story! Brief, lengthy, witty, profane, it’s as much as you. (Effectively, in all probability skip the #$*&# profanity.)
Our petition proposed quite a lot of methods the FTC might restore competitors in restore markets across the nation. We recognized a number of ways in which firms might make restore simpler and extra extensively accessible:
- Accessibility of Consumable Elements: Components that routinely put on out, like batteries, ought to be replaceable and available for the product’s complete lifespan.
- Availability of Widespread Components: Elements liable to put on and tear ought to be simply replaceable.
- Freedom of Restore Selection: Shoppers ought to have the freedom to decide on their restore supplier or go for DIY options.
- Sustained Product Help: Even after a product is discontinued, its key capabilities ought to stay intact, with repairs potential by way of unbiased outlets.
- Interchangeability of An identical Elements: Elements from an identical units ought to be interchangeable with no need producer intervention.
- Safety of Shopper Privateness: Unbiased restore outlets shouldn’t be mandated to reveal clients’ private info to producers.
We prompt that the FTC would possibly provoke a repairability labeling rule, including restore info to the yellow Energy Guide labels on energy-intensive merchandise like TVs and washing machines. Or maybe they could mandate a interval of availability of restore elements, instruments, or manuals.
Why the FTC?
The FTC has already been instrumental in advocating for Proper to Restore. Their landmark 2021 report, “Nixing the Fix,” debunked producers’ justifications for restore restrictions. They’ve taken action against companies like Harley-Davidson, Weber, and Westinghouse for voiding warranties for third-party restore work.
However with a purpose to do extra to assist Proper to Restore, they want a stronger rule to implement.
Submit Your Feedback
The opening of the FTC remark submission interval is a crucial second. It’s your likelihood to share how the shortage of restore entry has impacted you. Whether or not it’s a narrative a few gadget you couldn’t repair or a restore denied by producers, your experiences can affect the FTC’s decision-making course of.
Go to the Federal eRulemaking Portal for docket number FTC-2023-0077 and observe the directions to submit your feedback. Be as inventive as you need—however right here’s some textual content you may copy-paste for those who’re not feeling impressed:
The USA wants extra Proper to Restore guidelines. An absence of restore competitors is hurting customers and small restore companies. With out nationwide motion to guard our restore rights, company restore monopolies will hold us losing our personal cash, losing our planet’s sources, and prematurely sending merchandise to the dump. I assist this petition and name on the FTC to take motion!
The deadline is Friday, Feb 2 (30 days after the opening of the submission interval).
A Collective Effort for a Repairable Future
Collectively, we are able to steer in direction of a future the place repairability is a typical, not a privilege. Your feedback and assist may also help form insurance policies that shield client rights and promote sustainability.